Know before you go
This area may have travel restrictions related to COVID-19.
4 bedrooms, 1 bath, in sceanic, small Vermont village.
3 bedrooms on second floor, 1 on first floor (for the late-nighters in the bunch). In the last few years we've re-learned the pleasure of board games with friends and family, leisurely drinks with no place to worry about going to, and reading magazines for no particular reason at all. This home and its location really make one slow down from the frantic life and de-stress. Two General Stores in the neighborhood. There are orchards to spend a lazy fall afternoon in, and maple syrup & cheese-makers abound. Of course adventure is never far either and we recommend evening sleigh-rides, skiing, horse-back riding, snowmobiling, snowboarding, hiking, swimming and exploring. There's even the high-jump in the river up at 20-foot-hole! Sleep tight!
- 100% refund if you cancel at least 30 days before check-in.
- 50% refund (minus the service fee) if you cancel at least 14 days before check-in.
- No refund if you cancel less than 14 days before check-in.
Damage and Incidentals
You will be responsible for any damage to the rental property caused by you or your party during your stay.
Max guests: 8
Minimum 2-day vacancy between guest stays
Check in and check out with no person-to-person contact
Cleaned with disinfectant
(1) 'What a great place to stay - so comfy & homey. We had a wonderful time, spending snowy days in the village. Loved seeing the alpacas and eating at the Irish pub with the kids. Thanks for sharing your home.' -- M/M S & kids, Mass, January.
(2) 'We had an absolutely wonderful time. The house was so cute and cozy. It was convenient to so many things we missed the last time we came and stayed at the Ascutney. We got a lot of snow while we were there which made for great ski conditions. We also got in some sight seeing. Woodstock is a great little town... We look forward to making another trip to Vermont in the near future.' --T.Z. & family, NJ, January.
(3) 'We had a wonderful time this weekend. It felt like a home away from home. The location was great for us as we skied and snow boarded at Ascutney... Connor had a great 12th birthday and we had a great weekend. Thanks again.' -- the B family, CT, January
Other Activities: hiking, petting zoo, apple orchard, cheese-making, site-seeing, shopping
Ski: The largest single-peak mountain east of the Mississippi is Mt. Ascutney which offers fabulous skiing & a new high-speed detachable quad. ASCUTNEY is five minutes over to the next village, but if you want some real challenging and greatly diverse skiing, you'll have to check out OKEMO (15 minutes), KILLINGTON (20 minutes), SUNNAPEE (1 hour). For something smaller, SUICIDE SIX is a nice nearby family resort (20 minutes).
About James Reynolds
Landscape-painter, hiker, Dad, dog-owner and nature-lover.
James Reynolds purchased this house in 2003
Why James Reynolds chose Reading
We love Vermont - especially this area. It is scenic, adventurous and filled with amenities all while maintaining the Green Mountain aesthetic. World-class skiing and an rich artistic history abound just outside this small village. This beautiful landscape has been painted by Metcalf, Hibbard, Saint-Gaudens, photographed by most major magazines, and been the site for several Hollywood movies. We can walk to the store and still hear the river from our porch. We can spend the day hiking a mountain and the evening in some of the best restaurants in the country.
What makes this house unique
Walk to river and conveniences of in-town while still surrounded by quiet beauty. Minutes from world-class skiiing and restaurants, but intelligently just off the beaten-track. "Two paths converged in the wood and I, I took the one less travelled by. And it has made all the difference." Frost