5 Bedrooms For Rent (11 guests max) Rainforest, waterfalls, caves & adventure!
Please ask the owner or check their rental agreement when booking the property.
Damage and incidentals
You will be responsible for any damage to the rental property caused by you or your party during your stay.
Children allowed - Super environment for kids amidst exotic wildlife Super environment for kids amidst exotic wildlife
No smoking - Outdoor Smoking only.Outdoor Smoking only.
Max guests: 11
- No smoking in the house. Please use the designated smoking areas outside.
Welcome to the jungle
Good overall! Toucan House is located in the Better in Belize eco-development about 20 minutes past Benque. Nestled in the Belizean forest with lots of birds, butterflies and monkeys.
It's well worth going up to the viewing platform to see the Macal River valley and surrounding forest in the adjacent protected area. It's also interesting to meet the local expats building their own jungle hideaways.
The dirt road was recently grated and not too bad. Takes about 20min to town. If it rains, however, I'd make sure to have 4 wheel drive. There's a small store about 2 miles toward town owned by the sweetest lady ever, Elizabeth. Look for the small Belikin Beer sign.
We had some complications checking in, partly due to our flight problems. Make sure to get the Wifi password in advance so you can contact people if needed as there is no cell coverage.
We were two families of four and had plenty of space. The outdoor space is really great.
We did the river pontoon and horseback riding at Martz Farm tours, which were also great and gave us the opportunity to meet interesting and knowledgeable locals.
Vincent and Mylene:
It was an absolute pleasure having you and your family stay at our Toucan House Eco Lodge. So happy that you enjoyed the pontoon boat ride to the waterfalls, the rainforest, horseback riding and the howler monkeys! Thank you for being such wonderful guests to host and we thank you for coming.
Not a Tranquil Experience
We recently traveled for three weeks in Belize and stayed in numerous properties. We were very excited to book Toucan House. April was wonderful with providing information and answering all my questions before we arrived. The house was clean and room sizes as described. Kitchen was nicely stocked with spices and condiments but there was only one tea towel and no dish soap. Hard to clean up after ourselves. Also the kitchen was very dark, it appeared as tho only one light bulb was working. The very best part was the outdoor deck. The disappointment was with the neighbouring property. From the picture online I expected the yard to be much larger and I certainly did not think we would be seeing and hearing neighbours from the deck. If it had just been the neighbours talking that would have been understandable but they had a dog that barked and barked. Plus both evenings they ran a generator which was very loud. It was very disturbing and NOT what we came to experience.
Regarding the check in process: It was a long trip up a gravel road which we were expecting. We had a 4x4 which proved necessary. April provided us with plenty of great info prior to checking in. It included a detailed map of the last 10 miles with signs to look for etc. (needs updating as a few signs no longer there but using the odometer worked fine) The house is in a gated community with a locked gate. After traveling all day we were frustrated to find that the combination we were given was incorrect. We could not access it and had to go walking to find someone to let us in. Turns out the code had been changed two weeks prior and we had old information. Beautiful home but not peaceful during our stay.
The neighbours were renters who have now left so we are back to a peaceful environment. The community changed the gate code without notifying us and we have recently changed to using a new Cleaning Staff who did not leave all the housekeeping materials we asked them to. We are sorry about that and we have since addressed these issues. Hopefully you discovered the wonders of the rainforest with all the exotic wildlife and had a chance to partake in the incredible pontoon boat ride to the hidden waterfalls as many other guests have enjoyed.
Loved the sound of rain and the howler monkeys!
Emily, hope you had a wonderful Rainforest Adventure ! Glad you enjoyed the howler monkeys. Thanks for coming.
Beautiful home tucked away in the jungle
Beautiful lodge tucked away in the jungle. This house is located 40 minutes down a gravel road, and takes you off the beaten path. We saw monkeys, toucans, and all kinds of jungle life. The patios are perfect for sitting with friends enjoying the jungle. A must do is the jungle splash tours. You've gone this far to see the jungle, see it from the river.
Amy, it was a pleasure to have you and your group to our Better in Belize Eco Village. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Toucan House and that you experienced incredible wildlife. Thanks for coming!
Great intro to Belize
Got a real good first introduction to the jungle in Belize. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Toucan House in our Better in Belize Eco Village.
Thank you so much for coming!
Fun & Fabulous Activities at Our Belize Vacation Rental
• Enjoy a one-hour free and fascinating tour of our 132-acre eco-village! Tour includes checking out the alternative architecture in our Belize eco-village including a couple of Hobbit Homes! Explore the community gardens, hiking and wildlife corridors, ridge view lookout, and cool places to explore in our Belize eco-village. This tour is free, BUT MUST BE BOOKED IN ADVANCE.
• Best Star-gazing in the World! For amateur astronomers, The International Dark-Sky Association rates Belize as a super place to stargaze!
• Bonfires and Singalongs! Take a step back in time and enjoy the old-fashioned ambience of a bonfire around the outdoor fire pit at The Toucan House. Down by the Bay, anyone?
• Fabulous Bird-watching Opportunities! Keep your eyes peeled for Yucatan nightjars, scarlet macaws, cuckoos, pygmy owls, parakeets, and more!
• Hiking! Pack a picnic lunch and trek into the Maya Mountains. Don’t forget your camera!
• Horseback riding! Giddyap! Trot over to the farm next door for a gallop off-the-beaten-track!
• Howl up a Storm! Chart the movements and antics of our resident howler monkeys.
• Jungle Pontoon Waterfalls Adventure Tour! Hop aboard and explore the beauty and grandeur of Vaca Lake and the 4 waterfalls that spill into the lake. This is a full day of adventure right in the backyard of Better in Belize EcoVillage. Spend the day on a jungle cruise with stops at different waterfalls deep within the heart of the Mayan mountains! Enjoy cliff jumps, tubing, swimming and a waterfall you can climb! Perfect for all ages and fitness levels. Be on the lookout from the boat for rare birds and exotic flora and fauna! Day-long tour with lunch included. Must be booked in advance. Email us for more info.
• Medicinal Plants! Find and identify Maya medicinal plants in our tropical rainforest!
• Nap! Grab a snooze in the hammock. Fall asleep to birdsong!
• Photography! Snap some “Bucket-List pics”!
• Read a Book! This is the place to dump your devices (if you can!) and kick back and read that treasured novel. (Yes, we have Wi-Fi if you can’t go cold turkey from the wired world).
• Tours! Organized tours are available and include Horseback Riding, Che Chem Ha Cave Tour, Cave Tubing, Xunantunich Mayan site, The Forgotten Jungle City, and Caracol Mayan ruins. Email us for more info.
• Visit our Neighbors! Mosey across the road from Better in Belize and visit our neighbors who make homemade cheese and cashew wine, a sweet wine that tastes somewhat like port or sherry. You may go nuts for this beverage!
• Yoga! Climb to the top of Rainbow’s Roost, our ridge view lookout and practice your Sun Salute. OM-azing!
- english, spanish
Why April Tremblay chose San Ignacio
Unspoiled. Unparalleled. Location is exquisite. The wildlife and bird species are exceptional.
What makes this Lodge unique
The Toucan House at Better in Belize EcoVillage is the best vacation rental in Belize. This is a lovely place to.......swing in a hammock.....eat a freshly picked Belize mango.........enjoy the night sky like you've never seen it before.....set out on a hiking expedition to sight exotic birds, orchids, and wildlife......or head out on a jungle pontoon waterfalls adventure right in your backyard. Swim in the waterfalls for a sensational experience. Dine on our palapa-covered deck and be serenaded by the howler monkeys! Enjoy the magic and mystery of the Belize rainforest! If you're seeking fun, adventure, and a unique and wonderful vacation in Belize, book the best vacation rental in Belize - The Toucan House Rainforest Eco-Lodge!